Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Arsenio Hall Effect

I've been reading the biography of John Kenneth Gailbraith by Richard Parker (co-founder of Mother Jones) and I have arrived at an interesting conclusion on electoral politics, as applied to modern day. My new theory is solely based on the increase in young voter turnout (and their voting patterns) in the 1992 election after Bill Clinton went on the Arsenio Hall Show and played his sax. In large part to his appearance on the show (and the MTV Rock the Vote campaign, too), the 1992 elections saw a starkly higher turnout among young people, who at that time were solidly Democrats (I still think they are, I just think, based on personal experience that they have been jaded). As such I am making a prediction for the 2008 elections. While it has no statistical basis whatsoever (and as an economist as I am, that is a heretical assumption). Whoever comes across the best when they appear on The Daily Show will become the Democratic nominee and probably also the President. If not, I will eat my words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home