Thursday, December 22, 2005

300th Post: Patriot Act Reconsidered

The U.S. Senate today agreed with my assertion that the Patriot Act should be revised (sort of, not really). The Act that make permanent 14 of the 16 provisions and attach a 4-year sunset on the two most controversial provisions was defeated. However, Bush was defied in the final vote that extended the Patriot Act by 6-months in order for the Senate to possibly alter the two controversial provisions to assuage fears that they trample (not to mention spit upon) civil liberties. While I think 6-months is too long, there is no telling how long the Senate may take and it probably helps the cause of my rights for it to have a few extra months. I don't like my liberties violated (the violation is now a fetish of the Bush Administration, some kind of legislative rape fantasy) and maybe, with the help of the few sane Republican Sentators they will remain for me to enjoy well into 2006.

Note: I am off on my Christmas vacation trip home (i.e., around the country), and therefore I may not post much for a week or so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home